“Tunbridge Ware” – The Missing Brand On The Pantiles

Champagne Has Reims. Cognac Has Cognac. Tunbridge Wells Has Tunbridge Ware — And Nobody’s Making It

The Dandy Chronicles | The Chronicles


Say “Champagne”, and the region defends the word by law. Say “Cognac” and the same is true. Say “Mozartkugeln”, and everyone pictures Salzburg. Melton Mowbray has its pork pie. Stilton has its cheese. Each of these places has a physical, buyable thing that carries its name into the world, made by living hands and sold to visitors as something genuinely from the place.

Tunbridge Wells has one too. It’s called “Tunbridge Ware”. And right now, nobody in this town is making it.


What the Town Invented

Tunbridge Ware is a form of intricate wood mosaic — tiny slivers of naturally coloured wood, no dye or paint used at all, assembled into pictures, patterns, and geometric designs so fine that a single small box might contain thousands of individual pieces. The colours came directly from the local landscape: red from sycamore, yellow from nutmeg, green from Wealden oak attacked by a particular blue-green fungus, grey and blue from wood deliberately soaked in the Chalybeate Spring — the very spring the whole town grew up around.

The earliest recorded maker, a craftsman named Jordan, established workshops in 1685. By 1700, the technique was well-known enough that marquetry work in London was already being sold under the Tunbridge name. Through the 18th century, it grew from simple painted souvenirs into an extraordinary decorative art — and in 1842, Queen Victoria, who had ridden her donkey through these same streets as a girl, personally granted a Royal Warrant to Sharpe of Tunbridge Wells, one of the town’s leading makers.

Nine years later, the craft reached its high-water mark. At the Great Exhibition of 1851 in Hyde Park — the single largest showcase of British industry and design the world had ever seen — three Tunbridge Wells manufacturers exhibited their work. Maker Edmund Nye received a judges’ commendation for a table depicting a ship at sea, built from more than 110,000 individual wood tiles. Queen Mary, wife of Edward VII, became an avid collector; her pieces survive today at Frogmore House near Windsor.

At its peak, the town supported nine dedicated workshops, with a tenth in neighbouring Tonbridge.


And Then It Simply Stopped

The final Tunbridge Ware firm, Boyce, Brown and Kemp, closed its doors in 1927.

That’s not a slow fade into obscurity. That’s a hard stop. One specialist archive on the craft states the matter plainly: the industry has never been effectively revived in the Tunbridge Wells area since.

Every piece of Tunbridge Ware sold today — at Sworders, at Bonhams, in the specialist antiques shops that deal in it, on the auction sites where a fine mosaic box can fetch well over a thousand pounds — is an antique. Every single one. Nobody has cut a new sliver of sycamore into a Tunbridge Ware pattern for sale in nearly a century. The craft that put this town’s name into royal collections and international exhibitions is now entirely a matter of inheritance, not production.

Imagine, for a moment, if Champagne had simply stopped being made in 1927, and everything sold under that name today was a hundred-year-old bottle changing hands at auction. That is, precisely, the position Tunbridge Ware is in.


A Precedent Worth Remembering

This town has been here before, and it knows exactly what fixing it looks like.

For most of the twenty-first century, the Chalybeate Spring sat locked, neglected, and largely forgotten. It came back to life not through a council masterplan, but because one determined local tradesman decided the town’s founding symbol deserved better and spent two years working patiently with the council, planners, heritage officers, and the landowner to get the water flowing again.

The spring is running today because somebody simply decided it should.


What This Town Is Sitting On

Every ingredient for a revival is still here. The Wealden woodlands that supplied the original timber still stand. The chalybeate spring, now flowing again, still produces exactly the water that once tinted white, holly grey and blue. The techniques are documented in painstaking detail by specialist historians and preserved in the collection at Tunbridge Wells Museum and Art Gallery, a short walk from where the workshops once stood. The Royal Warrant granted in 1842 is a matter of historical record, not something to be invented from scratch.

What’s missing is a single modern tradesman — a woodworker, a marquetry specialist, a craftsperson willing to learn a genuinely difficult technique — who looks at this the way the spring’s rescuer looked at a locked, littered well, and decides the town’s own named craft deserves the same treatment.

There is no legal protection preventing anyone from calling new work “Tunbridge Ware” today, as Champagne or Cognac are protected by law. That’s arguably even more reason to act: right now, this town’s own brand is sitting entirely unclaimed, its reputation built by nine long-closed workshops and a queen’s warrant, waiting for someone to simply pick it back up.


The Question Worth Asking

A town that revived a three-century-old spring because one person cared enough to try might yet do the same for a craft that once put its name on a table in Hyde Park, admired by judges and bought by a queen. The same instinct that’s already been asking, elsewhere, what else might be waiting to be found.

Somewhere in Tunbridge Wells today, there is very likely a woodworker with the patience and skill this would require. They may not yet know that this town is waiting for exactly what they can make.


This post sits in The Dandy Chronicles, alongside our other stories of things this town made, lost, and might yet find again.

Enjoyed this story? Share it:

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Ask WalkTW
Ask me anything about Tunbridge Wells history, or our self-guided walking tours!